[seam-dev] Seam-booking in Seam 3 CR2: where is org.jboss.logmanager.Logger?

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Sat Mar 19 15:38:21 EDT 2011

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 13:57, Denis Forveille <denis.forveille at gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm trying to deploy the seam-booking example in WebSphere v8 beta without
> succes now
>
> One of the problem is that the class
>  "org.jboss.logging.JBossLogManagerLogger" (In seam-solder.jar)  needs
> org.jboss.logmanager.Logger
> I can not find this class in the CR2 distribution
> Has this class been forgotten or is it a hard dependency on some JBoss-AS
> lib?

You should not need this class. My guess is an overeager scanner that's
trying to look for classes that are optional :) We've seen this in earlier
versions of JBoss AS and GlassFish, but since have been resolved.

Real quick background. Seam Solder bundles JBoss Logging 3. JBoss Logging 3
is an abstraction layer over the main logging backends, one of which is the
JBoss LogManager (others are slf4j, log4j and jdk14). JBoss Logging 3 will
select which one to use based on what is on the classpath.

Having said that, the *way* JBoss Logging 3 searches for a logging provider
is not pretty. We are in the process of making that more robust and
configurable (to force a provider).

If, in fact, you are seeing this error because of an overeager scanner, the
only way around it is to include all the logging APIs on the classpath. But
that is not the long term solution.

      <dependency>
         <groupId>org.slf4j</groupId>
         <artifactId>slf4j-api</artifactId>
         <scope>runtime</scope>
         <version>1.5.10</version>
      </dependency>

      <dependency>
         <groupId>org.jboss.logmanager</groupId>
         <artifactId>jboss-logmanager</artifactId>
         <version>1.2.0.CR4</version>
         <scope>runtime</scope>
      </dependency>

      <dependency>