[seam-dev] Seam Reports

George Gastaldi gegastaldi at gmail.com
Sat May 14 01:01:06 EDT 2011

Hello !

I started some work on Seam Reports, but I would like some help from
you guys. I created some interfaces to abstract loading/compiling a
report, populating and rendering.
The source code is on https://github.com/gastaldi/reports (not merged
on official repos yet) - test case included (and passing) !.
I recommend read the api and impl code before.

But the points I am in need of help are:

1) The rendering part is kinda obscure yet. It would be nice if the
developer could write something like:

@Inject @PDF SeamReportRenderer renderer;

and then call renderer.render(...);

The fact is that: Every provider (JasperReports, Velocity, Birt, etc)
have their own way of doing the rendering part.
I created a SeamReportsOutputType enum, but that is not so cool, as
will certainly restrict the app developer. Jason Porter and Pete Royle
has pointed me that using Qualifiers (as the example above) should be
a good way to go.

2)  Should the interfaces be rich enough to allow someone to create a
report by using a fluent interface (I believe that could be out of
scope of this module) or this module should just allow hiding the
implementation layer of existing reports framework as it does now (In
my iniitial conception, this is what I needed and wanted) ?

I´ll love to hear your suggestions,

Regards,

George Gastaldi