[seam-dev] Seam Reports

George Gastaldi gegastaldi at gmail.com
Tue May 17 18:34:25 EDT 2011

Hello All !

Seam Reports is a portable extension for Java EE that provides APIs
for compiling, populating and rendering reports (Excel, PDF, etc) from
existing report frameworks (JasperReports, etc).

I invite anyone to try it and join it when possible.
The module page for Seam Reports is online also:
http://seamframework.org/Seam3/ReportsModule

Now that you are familiar with the subject, I´ll share some thoughts below ! :D

I have spoken with Jason Porter and Pete Royle about incorporating
Seam Render capabilities on this module also.
The idea is, since this module produces documents, it would be nice to
extract the classes used for rendering content on Seam Mail, for
example to this module.
The inter-module dependencies should not be required at first glance
(Maybe from API).
It would be nice if this module provided an API for generating some
content (let´s say, use Velocity to generate a XHTML and XHTMLRenderer
- https://xhtmlrenderer.dev.java.net - to generate a PDF for example)
.
So whenever you need to render a document, the answer is straight
clear: use Seam Reports :)

What do you guys think ?

Regards,

George Gastaldi