[seam-dev] Seam Reports

Ken Finnigan ken at kenfinnigan.me
Wed May 18 21:49:41 EDT 2011

George,

You could do something like Seam Render having the API for
rendering/generating of documents, with some basic implementations like
velocity/freemarker templating, which is used within Seam Mail.

Then Seam Reports, as well as doing a lot more, could implement the Seam
Render generation API for Jasper/BIRT/etc.

That way, Seam Render can be used when you want basic templating/generation
and Seam Reports supports taking it to the next level with advanced document
generation, which then allows Seam Mail (or any other module) to support the
basic generation of Seam Render in the beginning but then also provide
optional functionality that requires Seam Reports for the more advanced
generation.

I know it's a fine balance between making the modules too light and making
them too heavy, but I think this could be a good separation.

Ken