[seam-dev] TCK-style testing for Seam Cron Module

Jason Porter lightguard.jp at gmail.com
Thu May 19 19:03:24 EDT 2011

On Thu, May 19, 2011 at 16:32, Pete Royle <howardmoon at screamingcoder.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The Seam Cron module has many providers and I'd like to test each
> provider by reusing the same test suite (Arquillian), but just having a
> different provider on the classpath . Kind of TCK style I think.
>
> So I would have several provider projects, plus a tck project containing
> all the common test classes. I guess then each provider project would
> depend on the tck (scope: test) so that the tck tests, plus any of its
> own unit tests are all run during that provider's test phase.
>
> My concerns with this so far are:
>
> 1. I think I will need a test suite with the test classes in
> src/main/java (rather than src/test/java) so that the provider can get
> those classes onto its own classpath during testing. Will Arquillian
> work OK like that (ie: does it have maven integration which specifically
> looks under src/test/java only)?

No, there's nothing in there that I'm aware of that would prohibit this
approach.

> 2. The classes in the test suite have a hard-coded @Deployment, and I'm
> not sure how I'd go about customising that place a different provider
> class on the classpath. I don't want to have to force my providers to
> extend every test case just to customise the deployment.

You're @Deployment should be in the test class, but that doesn't stop you
from having a base method that setup everything and just returns an archive
you can add to, or even merge(...) in your @Deployement method.

> 3. Am I going about this all wrong?

Sounds like a good way to accomplish the task to me.

> Cheers for any advice you can give me.
>
> Pete R

Jason Porter
http://lightguard-jp.blogspot.com