[seam-dev] [jbosstools-dev] What is expected of JBoss Seam 2.3 for JBoss Tools

Alexey Kazakov akazakov at exadel.com
Wed May 2 14:49:29 EDT 2012

See my comments below.

On 05/02/2012 11:24 AM, Daniel Hinojosa wrote:
> *  Latest JBT is used with Eclipse 3.7.2 Indigo
> *  Seam 2.3 uses maven, therefore all dependencies are done through maven
> *  JBT WILL NOT be using Maven
I would say JBoss Tools Seam Wizards (New Project, Action, Form, etc.)
are not going to use Maven. But JBT has some maven features (seam
support enabled automatically if you import a maven project with seam
dependencies, mavenized seam project examples, etc.)
> *  JBT only needs the initial seam distribution (zip file with lib) to
> have everything it needs to create a seam web project.
> *  Once JBT has the initial distribution and libraries it can then use
> that to create a seam web project.
> *  If the end user wishes to use JBT, they have to download the
> distribution, map it to SEAM_HOME.
JBT does not use SEAM_HOME at all. We use our internal settings for
eclipse projects to map it to the seam distribution.
> *  If the end user doesn't wish to use JBT, they can just add
> dependencies to their maven pom files, and do what they want.
Again, JBT can help here too, but if we are talking about Seam Wizards
then this is correct.
> *  If the end user wants to use JBT AND Maven, that will not be
> supported currently (Need Verification)
Not supported by Seam Wizards. Since they are seam-gen based. All the
problems we have right now are related to our Seam Wizards. Our seam
maven integration works fine afaik. Just to be clear.
> *  JBT will expect that the end distribution of Seam will have a lib
> folder with required jars, a list of jars, and a seam.sh and seam.bat
> to run seam-gen
JBT does not use seam.sh, seam.bat or any scripts directly. We used them
only during development to mimic its logic. But we still need the lib
folder, the list of jars and templates (xhtmls, xmls, etc) and hope the
scripts won't change much so we won't have to rewrite our wizards
completely.
> *  Seam 2.3 has a distribution module that creates the final
> distribution and uses the assembly plugin to achieve what JBT needs,
> this is the focus currently:
> https://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/seam/branches/community/Seam_2_3/distribution/
> *  JBT will still require seam.bat or seam.sh scripts so it can create
> entities and actions and that is already part of the current distribution
> https://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/seam/branches/community/Seam_2_3/distribution/src/main/assembly/

Again, JBT doesn't use seam scripts. See the previous comment.