[seam-dev] Introducing DeltaSpike-Solder project

Ove Ranheim oranheim at gmail.com
Sun Sep 9 14:43:04 EDT 2012

Dear seam-team!

We all know that DeltaSpike is the future of what once where Solder and Seam. DeltaSpike 0.3 was just released and IMO it provides most necessities to successfully port the most important Seam features to DS. There are many features still lacking, which currently are only found in Seam 3.1. So instead of complaining about it, I figured it was about time to do something :)

After following DS project since its start, I clearly see the benefits of true portable extensions across CDI implementations as well as containers. It's going to be even more interesting to see and enjoy how DS will evolve in the future.

I guess seam-ers have high expectations to Apache DeltaSpike (I can only speak for myself), but it's been a while since I we enjoy Seam 3 upgrades. And, until DS is in state where it offers most Seam features, it's not something existing Seam 3 projects can make use. Due to my impatience of starting my move, I've spent some time the past week+ to port Solder and Seam Mail 3.2.0-SNAPSHOT towards DeltaSpike 0.3 incubating.

Today, I had  success with the Seam Mail testsuite, which now runs fine. I will continue to merge other Seam modules the coming days.

You can check out the sources at:
https://github.com/oranheim/deltaspike-solder

The purpose of deltaspike-solder is to provide a glue layer for existing projects depending on Seam 3. As DeltaSpike increases in features and gradually becomes in a state where Solder/Seam features are replaced, the deltaspike-solder will diminish in footprint. It's an opposite project :) Code size will be reduced as DS moves on.

Some comments to what I have done so far:

- Updated dependencies to DS-container
- Updated all annotations to DS ones wherever applicable, e.g. @Exclude replaces @Veto, etc.
- Refactored Solder into minor extensions. I will continue to refactor each feature in smaller pieces. In this way it is easier to swap out in favor of future DS features
- Removed all Seam specific dependencies so it only depends towards DS
- Integrated with DS Catch

The Seam Logging and Property Queries are considered stable. Other extensions like Config, Servlet, Generic (AnnotationRedefiner is broken) and Default Bean, Unwraps, Resource Loading and more are also in place.

If this is something of value to Seam, we may consider to move this project to the GitHub Seam branch.

Please let me know what you think.

Kind regards,
Ove