[seam-dev] seam 2.3.5-final

Marek Novotny mnovotny at redhat.com
Mon Apr 10 03:24:46 EDT 2017

Comments inline:

On 7.4.2017 18:17, Denis Forveille wrote:
> I don't know for deltaspike
>
> In fact we migrated to JSF 2.2 + Primefaces (instead of RF 3.3)   + CDI 1.2 + Apache Shiro (instead of Seam Security,  very easy
> setup) + JasperReports (instead of Seam PDF) and we develop a small in house library for the gaps.
>
> Denis
>
> Le 07/04/2017 à 10:34, Ricardo Bento a écrit :
>> I considered migrating to JSF 2.2+CDI+deltaspike, but we use seam authentication and jbpm and seam mail. We use almost every
>> facet of seam and I don`t know if this migration is possible.
That is unfortunate not easy as to migrate, but what is when such big change happened ;) You don't get integrated framework like
Seam 2 was, but major things are standards and better in using than in Seam 2.

CDI is standardized even Drools/JBPM use CDI now and you can migrate from old JBPM.
https://docs.jboss.org/drools/release/6.5.0.Final/drools-docs/html_single/index.html#d0e2161

Seam authentication can be replaced by SSO in Keycloak.

Seam Mail effectively doesn't exist, but Cody created Seam 3 CDI extension and refactored it when Seam 3 ended to
https://github.com/codylerum/simple-email

So far the best description of migration to Java EE and DeltaSpike is in https://github.com/mareknovotny/seam-migration/wiki,
there are some examples from Dan Allen famous book migrated in that repository

And Wildfly quickstarts have CDI and Deltaspike simple projects to try and learn https://github.com/wildfly/quickstart, look for
cdi-* or deltaspike-* directories.

>> My first reaction was to migrate to 2.3 using jsf 2.0 and migrate richfaces to 4. then if all was corrected and validated,
>> migrate to a posteior version (alternative)..
>> There aren`t a lot of migration manuals ....
>>
>> Does deltaspike support  seam entityController entityhome, entityList classes? We extended them as part of seam framework....

I think this is more simple with pure CDI to create CRUD implementations without special extension than in Seam 2. I would
recommend to use JBoss Forge - http://forge.jboss.org,  which can generate an application like Seam Gen did in Seam 2 days. And
you can inspire from the code how to do it very easily.

>>     Hi
>>
>>     Migrating to Seam 3 is a very bad idea IMHO. Seam 3 is also "dead". It has been largely replaced by JSF v2.x + CDI +
>>     deltaspike
>>
>>     IMHO you should migrate your apps either to JSF2.2+CDI as we did for all of our apps, or to JSF 2.2+CDI+deltaspike
>>
>>     Denis
>>

>>     Le 06/04/2017 à 10:49, Ricardo Bento a écrit :
>>>     Good afternoon
>>>     Iknow that seam is deprecated but I wanted to migrate slowly our application to seam 3.
>>>     I would like to migrate to seam 2.3.5 and there is one package that does not exists org.jboss.seam.bpm. Do you know what
>>>     happend to this package?
>>>     How can I get the compatible version.
>>>
>>>     --
>>>     Cumprimentos