[jbossseam-issues] [JBoss JIRA] Closed: (JBSEAM-1338) Unifying Start-page & Start-state pageflows

Gavin King (JIRA) jira-events at lists.jboss.org
Tue May 22 19:56:52 EDT 2007

     [ http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBSEAM-1338?page=all ]

Gavin King closed JBSEAM-1338.

    Resolution: Rejected

Yes, we really need them.

> Unifying Start-page & Start-state pageflows
> -------------------------------------------
>                 Key: JBSEAM-1338
>                 URL: http://jira.jboss.com/jira/browse/JBSEAM-1338
>             Project: JBoss Seam
>          Issue Type: Feature Request
>          Components: BPM
>    Affects Versions: 1.2.1.GA
>         Environment: Seam
>            Reporter: Andy Gibson
> Do we really need two different types of page flows?
> Pageflows started in pages.xml requires a <start-page> as the start of the pageflow. Pageflows started on @Begin annotated methods need a <start-state>. The problem is that you could easily want to start pageflows from either location, and would then need to write two identical pageflows to accomodate this. 
> i.e. A page for editing a widget is RESTful, and bookmarkable with the id in the URL, elsewhere, you may want to edit the same widget in a nested conversation. as part of another process.
> For the RESTFul URL, you need to use pages.xml to define the conversation start and the pageflow. 
> For the other edit, you need a @begin annotated method (possibly with passing the widget instance in) and it requires a different pageflow, even though it is identical to the first. This annotation is also required to identify the need for a nested conversation.
> There is a real need for initiating pageflows from two separate places, and a need for them to use the same page flow. It is possible to work around this and go back to the @Create @Begin(pageflow="editwidget:") annotations on a method for RESTful urls. 
> Given the number of times the problem appears in the forums, it appears to be an inobvious stumbling block without a real purpose as to its existence. 
> It just seems messy to have two identical flows, when in 99% of cases the start page/state can be derived from one unified pageflow. In the other 1%, it is still possible to write a separate pageflow, but having two incompatible but almost identical flows appears clumsy.

This message is automatically generated by JIRA.
If you think it was sent incorrectly contact one of the administrators: http://jira.jboss.com/jira/secure/Administrators.jspa
For more information on JIRA, see: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira


More information about the seam-issues mailing list