[security-dev] [PicketBox 5] - Authentication API

Pedro Igor Silva psilva at redhat.com
Wed Aug 1 18:35:26 EDT 2012

Hi Bill,

    I think one of the main things about this API is that when creating new mechanisms you focus only in its logic. The mechanism only needs to know how to extract the user's credentials (eg.: by using a specific protocol) and call an authentication manager (user metadata store) to validate its credentials. The user store is not hidden it is available during the authentication. Also, other aspects like subject creation/population/propagation are handled by PicketBox. I think you do not need to code that every time. Of course, the API may provide extensions for custom and specific behaviour.

    Another idea is allow multiple user stores during the user validation, that is configurable. We can also have some policy for the stores like stop in the first successful validation or require all stores to validate the user.

    I understand that exception,event handling and workflow are specific, but as the authentication is managed by PicketBox it can also help protocols and components to customize some behaviour by listening for certain events or extending the API.

    I think the indirection is important to reuse mechanisms whithout wiring them with the protocol/component environment. We can use the HTTP Digest mechanism, for example, inside a filter, jsp page, servlet or in a Valve or even share it between projects.

    About the callback stuff, as Pete said, it seems more like a struct. And I agree. We are looking to change this concept.

Regards.
Pedro Igor