[security-dev] Credentials API redesign

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Thu Dec 6 10:53:06 EST 2012

> On 12/06/2012 03:40 PM, Bill Burke wrote:

>>> This actually is valid when integrating with proprietary 3rd party
>>> security systems.
>>> Assume a proprietary token coming into the authentication system and
>>> the auth system needs to pass this to the 3rd party system for
>>> deciphering and authentication. Once the 3rd party system validates and
>>> releases the user details, the auth system can perform its security
>>> context initialization etc.  This has been seen in the domain of the App
>>> Server with 3rd party sec systems.
>>>

>> This is protocol specific and should not be handled by the IDM API.
>
> I think it depends how far you go, validating any credential could be
> classed as protocol specific.

There's a tipping point IMO from having a generic API that supports
*OUR* vision of security vs. a third-party's vision of security.  What
I'm saying is, if you have a non-trivial set of metadata that is
controlled by a third-party, you're better off writing custom code than
wrestling with the IDM API.

THis is why, IMO, it is so important to focus on *RED HAT*'s vision for
security when it comes to the IDM API.  The LoginModule-like-SPI is
where most of the third-party integration should occur.

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat