[security-dev] char[] argument is weak

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Fri Dec 7 10:15:34 EST 2012

> Reading this a lot of your justification appears to be that there are
> other weak areas that also need to be addressed so lets address them
> rather than using them as a justification.
>
> Relying on a session token to identify a remote user is weak security,
> no stronger than authenticating using plain text passwords.

Most apps that run on Tomcat, Jetty, and JBossWeb use a session cookie.
  Also, How safe is SSL from this type of memory dump attack?  Does it
not have to keep the private key(s) in memory?

> Having to have some passwords in memory may be an indication that some
> of those also need to be reduced but don't see how it justifies keeping
> more in memory.

If you only fix one hole in a leaky roof, you still have a leaky roof.
It is impossible to protect against this attack because you have no
control when a swap happens let alone all the areas that must store
credentials in memory over a long period.

It is the responsibility of the OS to protect against this attack, not
the JVM. This is very much like how people continually try to emulate
SSL features with their own leaky protocols, when if they just used SSL
to begin with they wouldn't have those leaks.

> And regarding users that deserve their own fate we have been there, done
> that and moved beyond that now - that really is the pre-Red Hat approach
> we used to have.

I disagree.  This is one problem that can only *fully* be solved at the
OS level.  Since we are now post-Red Hat we actually have an OS as part
of our portfolio, so we should delegate responsibility to RHEL where
appropriate.  This is one of those situations.
--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat