[security-dev] Multi-application support for IDM

Boleslaw Dawidowicz bdawidow at redhat.com
Mon Nov 12 06:03:46 EST 2012

On Nov 12, 2012, at 1:56 AM, Shane Bryzak <sbryzak at redhat.com> wrote:

> Actually, after some more thought there may be a third option in which
> we can support both scenarios. Until now we've assumed both "realm" and
> "application" are the same thing, a kind of "subgrouping" of identity
> state (the naming of which is even slightly contentious).  However, what
> if we supported them both?  By introducing a hierarchy with the Realm at
> the top, we can then support both scenario A (by making both Users and
> Applications unique within a Realm) and scenario B (by making Realms
> totally separate to each other).
>
> This would require a slightly more complex (but still intuitive) API.
> Here's some examples based on a fictional paper company:
>
> a) Creating a new user "dschrute" in realm "corporate"
>
> identityManager
>     .forRealm(identityManager.getRealm("corporate"))
>     .createUser(new SimpleUser("dschrute"));
>
> b) Adding this new user to the "sales" Group, in application "cms":
>
> Realm corporate = identityManager.getRealm("corporate");
> Application cms = identityManager.getApplication(corporate, "cms");
> Group sales = identityManager.getGroup(cms, "sales");
> User user = identityManager.getUser(corporate, "dschrute");
>
> identityManager
>     .forApplication(cms)
>     .addToGroup(user, sales);
>
> c) Creating a retail customer user and adding them to the "customers" group:
>
> Realm retail = identityManager.getRealm("retail");
> Application onlineSales = identityManager.getApplication(retail,
> "onlineSales");
> User user = new SimpleUser("bvance");
> Group customers = identityManager.getGroup(onlineSales, "customers");
>
> identityManager
>     .forRealm(retail)
>     .createUser(user);
>
> identityManager
>     .forApplication(onlineSales);
>     .addToGroup(user, customers);

Quite interesting concept. If we keep API usable outside of realm/application context for use case of just embedding IDM it can be good balance between power and simplicity.

> From the above examples, we can see that Users are specific to Realms,
> while Groups, Roles and Memberships are specific to Applications.  I'm
> kind of wondering if we should make Group unique to the Realm instead of
> the Application (and just leave Roles and Memberships as
> Application-specific) as this might be a more sensible structure when it
> comes to modeling real life scenarios.  If you have an opinion either
> way please let me know what you think.

Thinking about it group structure is typically probably more related to the organisation structure so would fit the Realm context. Then if someone needs application specific groups those can be created as a dedicated branch in a group tree inside of the realm. Like /corporate/apps/cms/admin. Then I assume non application roles and memberships would still be attached Realm?