[security-dev] IDM Realms and Applications - The Nitty Gritty

Shane Bryzak sbryzak at redhat.com
Thu Nov 15 20:39:05 EST 2012

On 11/16/2012 11:19 AM, Shane Bryzak wrote:
> On 11/16/2012 10:33 AM, Bill Burke wrote:
>>> Even the latest design?

>>> I'd like to see a specific example demonstrating this use case. Would it
>>> be possible for the services that make up a single application to simply
>>> share the roles defined by that application? Adding yet another layer to
>>> the current design is going to really complicate things further.
>>>
>> A user might be "admin" for one service, but not "admin" for a different
>> service.  Service "A" might want to invoke on Service "B" on behalf of
>> the user.  Doesn't that have to be conveyed in the model somehow?
>>
>> Bill
>>
> Maybe what we really need to do is find another name for the abstraction
> that we're currently referring to as Application.  The only reason we
> currently have Applications is to support application-specific roles,
> which is exactly what you're suggesting we do for Services.

Actually, how about we just introduce a new, hierarchical abstraction
which we call "Tier", and allow roles to be granted at various levels.
This way, the application could be modelled as a parent tier, and
services could be modelled as sub-tiers of the application.  Roles
granted at the parent tier level would automatically become inherited by
the sub-tier, so at the application tier you could grant general roles,
then for each service tier you could grant more specific roles.  Would
that work?