[security-dev] Feature set metadata for IdentityStore

Shane Bryzak sbryzak at redhat.com
Thu Oct 25 06:55:44 EDT 2012

To enable us to support partitioning within the identity management
module, I'd like to implement a feature similar to what we had in the
previous version of PicketLink IDM, FeaturesMetaData [1].  The
IdentityStore interface returns an instance of this (see [2]) which can
be used to determine the exact capabilities supported by that
IdentityStore instance.  This is important for use cases such as where
users may be stored in one identity store (such as an LDAP directory),
and role and group memberships might be stored in another store (e.g. a
database).

I will probably implement this in a slightly different fashion using a
Set of enum values instead, however the functionality will by and large
remain the same.  If anyone has any feedback on this proposal, please
let me know otherwise I'll proceed with the implementation in the next
day or so.

Shane

[1]
https://github.com/picketlink/picketlink-idm/blob/1.4/picketlink-idm-spi/src/main/java/org/picketlink/idm/spi/store/FeaturesMetaData.java