[security-dev] IdentityManager review - queries

Pedro Igor Silva psilva at redhat.com
Mon Oct 29 09:10:38 EDT 2012

I liked your proposal, it is simple and clear.

Considering what you did I thought in another solution. At first glance, it seems more odd. But I think it can be more intuitive for users. For example, instead of having the Param.memberOf, users may use query.role(Role) or query.group(Group) directly.

        IdentityManager identityManager = // get the identity manager;

        Query<User> query = identityManager.<User>createQuery();

        query
            .limit(100)
            .offset(1)
            .where()
                .id("1")

                .property(User.FIRST_NAME, OPERATOR.equals, "John")
                .property(User.EXPIRATION_DATE, OPERATOR.lessThan, new Date())

                .attribute("ssn", OPERATOR.equals, "SSN-123")

                .role(new SimpleRole("Payroll Officer"))

                .group(new SimpleGroup("Superuser", "Superuser", null));

        List<User> list = query.list();

        for (User user : list) {
            // handle users
        }

I think we can avoid having a Range class/interface by using some methods on the Query interface (eg. limit and offset above). Th Query interface can be used only to configure how the query should be executed, global configuration, etc.

The Where interface can be useful to provide some specific validation depending of the IdentityType and how the restrictions are configured. For example, users do not have a parent relationship.

The property names (firstName, email, etc) can be a Enum for each IdentityType type (user,group and role). Each IdentityType type should specify which properties are searchable + the common properties defined by the IdentityType interface.

Not sure if we need the query.reset() method ... Why not just discard the query instance and build another one ?

Regards.
Pedro Igor