[security-dev] managing OTP

Bill Burke bburke at redhat.com
Mon Aug 12 09:20:08 EDT 2013

On 8/12/2013 6:19 AM, Pedro Igor Silva wrote:
> [...]

The reason for this is?

> If a devices becomes obsolete, you just set expiration date.

Its not just TOTP, same with password.  Every time a user has a lost
password two new obsolete ones are added to the database:  temporary
one, then a password change.  Maybe not such a big deal with a few
users, but when you get to tens, hundreds of thousands of users, won't
this kind of be a problem?

>> THe 2nd is that for TOTP, you will want to check every device on a
>> credential validation rather than just one:
>>
>> https://issues.jboss.org/browse/PLINK-237
>>
>> Our own VPN allows me to set up multiple tokens.  I have one on my
>> iphone and ipad just in case I lose one or the other.  OUr VPN allows me
>> to use either to login in.
>>

> Is not a valid option you iterate over user's devices and try each one ?

Sure, this is why this is an enhancement.

--
Bill Burke
JBoss, a division of Red Hat