[security-dev] IDM: Support for XML configuration

Marek Posolda mposolda at redhat.com
Fri Jan 18 12:02:36 EST 2013

Hi,

I've started the work on XML based IDM configuration and sent first PR
related to this https://github.com/picketlink/picketlink/pull/38

What I did so far is:
1) Created Java classes for types which are used to XML-Java mapping.
For now, I added those classes into "picketlink/federation" module into
package "org.picketlink.identity.federation.core.config.idm" .

Only reason to have them in federation is, that they need to be visible
from class PicketlinkType, which is part of Federation module. (It was
agreed that we will use big picketlink.xml, which will contain
configuration of all picketlink components together). Seems that we need
to extract some stuff related to XML parsing from federation module into
config module, as currently "config" module is dependent on "federation" .

2) I've made STAX based XML parsing in config module. See
IDMConfigParser and unit test IDMConfigParserTestCase

3) I've added some temporary reflection based hack to
PicketlinkConfigParser, so it can instantiate IDMConfigParser from
"config" module and use it. This needs to be done more properly once/if
we extract XML parsing stuff from "federation" module to "config" module
(mentioned in point 1)

4) I've added class XMLBasedIdentityManagerProvider to IDM. It will be
used to build IDM IdentityManager from parsed XML configuration. Not
much work done here atm. I am planning to  use reflection based classes
from IDM module to help with this.

Let me know if there are some questions/concerns around this.

Thanks,
Marek