[security-dev] PLINK-84 - Login can be bypassed with any user after a first successful login

Douglas Campos qmx at qmx.me
Tue Jan 29 21:08:19 EST 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 05:19:23PM -0600, Anil Saldhana wrote:
> Shane,
>    this is not a bug rather a feature request.
it's a bug

> Aerogear has the following sequence:
>
> credential.setCredential(x);
> identity.login();
> credential.setCredential(y);
> identity.login();
>
> Aerogear wants PicketLink to reauthenticate during the second login()
> call. Currently
> it will not because the first login() established a User instance and
> subsequent login()
> calls will just bypass the auth process.
If my API doesn't do the login process on the login() call, am I not
failing with the "least surprise principle"? If it doesn't do all the
login procedure when called, better rename it then: mayLogin(),
loginWithCaching() or anything like this.

IMO, this is not only wrong, but I think it can be used as a potential
attack vector.

-- qmx