[security-dev] Undertow / IdentityManager and Digest Authentication

Anil Saldhana asaldhan at redhat.com
Wed May 1 19:26:42 EDT 2013

On May 1, 2013, at 5:54 PM, Bill Burke <bburke at redhat.com> wrote:

> On 5/1/2013 6:39 PM, Stuart Douglas wrote:
>>
>> Even though not handing out the credentials directly may feel more
>> secure, I don't think it actually is, unless you have a scenario that is
>> not covered above?
>
> I'll give you another one: What does IdentityManager.updateCredential()
> do?  Does it allow you to update a password?  If so, you're saying that
> its ok to change a password, but not read it from the store?

Applications cannot and should not read the password from the store via the IdentityManager API.

In the case of ldap store, the ldap store does cred operations. IDM does not have access to the cred read from the store.

In the case of databases, such facilities does not exist- for this reason, we have an spi which normal applications do not care. Only in advanced cases such as yours, do we need to deal with credential handler constructs.

As Stuart said, unless the JVM is running with a Java Security Manager, it is a Wild West. There is no real security in terms of trusted/untrusted code.