[teiid-dev] Translators in the "vdb.xml" file.

Steven Hawkins shawkins at redhat.com
Tue May 25 14:31:39 EDT 2010

This is a change toward simple and focused.  With the environmental information held by a resource adapter connection factory the remaining properties of a translator are not expected to change.  It simplifies deployment greatly to have the vdb be self contained than maintaining translators as another global entity.

In any event the deployment of a custom translator is also greatly simplified from before, and should now become as easy as placing the JAR with your ExecutionFactory in the deploy directory.

If a custom translator is changed (same name/class, but with different property definitions), then the expectation is that the developer either has considered the impact of the migration, such that the old translators property sets are compatible with the new.  If a new name is given and the old custom ExecutionFactory is removed, then a forced migration would occur that requires the change of affected vdbs.

I don't necessarily see that as a limitation.  We are steadily moving down the path where from dynamic vdb or even designer perspective the physical model metadata is tied directly to the translator used.  This is especially true for LDAP and Salesforce, but is even true for JDBC as native types, column names, etc., are not the same across all source types.  Only the loopback translator is a jack of all trades, but is of limited usefulness for anything other than basic queries.

So to state this a different way, change your translator == change you physical model.