[teiid-users] version 7.0 stand alone server configuration

Ramesh Reddy rareddy at redhat.com
Mon Apr 5 16:40:20 EDT 2010

On Mon, 2010-04-05 at 16:05 -0400, Charles Simon wrote:
> I was shocked to find that Teiid will no longer support a stand alone
> server installation and must be installed into a JBoss AS
> environment.
> Am I wrong?

You have read correct. Starting with 7.0.M3 (soon to be released) Teiid
needs to be installed in JBoss AS. We support the standalone Teiid
server using the JBoss AS as the host environment. For a end user, it
should be no different from before after the installation. You would
still be able to connect through JDBC as before to access your VDBS.

If you are developing the custom connector, the connectors will be
developed as JCA connectors. From Teiid standpoint the Connector API
itself modified slightly to fit into JCA, Teiid provides the rest of the
implementation for the JCA hooks. The packaging and configuration for
the connector is changed completely from before. Teiid will use RAR
files like any other JCA connector. Take look at the code for one of
supplied connectors in Teiid's svn for a sample.

There are numerous reasons for the shift, you can read them on Teiid's
blog.

Please let us know about your concerns, we will try to answer any
questions your may have.

Thanks.

Ramesh..