[undertow-dev] Websockets

Andrig Miller anmiller at redhat.com
Fri Apr 12 11:49:32 EDT 2013

I have had a conversation via e-mail with Mark Little about this particular aspect of Undertow.  The reason that conversation started was because Mark asked me about the status of a particular TAG issue, which was about Netty vs. XNIO.

I had thought that we had agreed, in regards to that TAG issue that XNIO and Netty served two different purposes, and that if you needed something like websockets (already in Netty), that we would use Netty, and if you didn't need additional functionality outside of low level NIO functionality, you would use XNIO.

So, this is a little off topic, but I'm wondering how we ended up not using Netty for the websockets for Undertow in the first place.  It seems like we have built a lot of duplicate functionality for what was already available in Netty.

So, perhaps this should branch off into a different thread, but we need to have this conversation.

Andy