[undertow-dev] [3.x] HttpString migration

Carter Kozak ckozak at ckozak.net
Tue Apr 23 12:49:11 EDT 2019

Greetings,

I'm curious what the plan is for HttpString in undertow 3.x, since this will potentially be the most frequent migration for components which don't implement custom xnio mechanisms. At the moment, the 3.x branch has replaced most uses of HttpString with String, however netty provides a similar AsciiString type which may provide similar performance characteristics to HttpString. Have we considered using the Netty type directly where HttpString is currently used, or using CharSequence instead of string since AsciiString already implements CharSequence, and HttpString may be updated to support it? Based on UNDERTOW-147 [1] I suppose there's some question as to whether or not a non-string type is desirable for Servlet uses.

Thanks,
Carter

1. https://issues.jboss.org/browse/UNDERTOW-147