[webbeans-dev] Who is sending viruses to this list?

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Mon Aug 10 08:36:59 EDT 2009

There are a number of issues here, which all play together:

* The spam filter for lists.jboss.org is poor, this is a known issue
(I and others have reported it to IT operations, I'll check on the
status) - but I don't understand *why* the spam filtering is poor.
This means a lot of spam makes it through to the list
* We have moderation set up for the list, which means that 99% of spam
that makes it through ends up in the moderation filter and is
discarded there
* The postmaster at lists.jboss.org is a auto-approved address
(automatically) for the list
* Currently the lists aren't "self-managed" by us, but are managed by
IT operations, so it takes a while to adjust settings

This means, if you send spam from postmaster at lists.jboss.org to the
list, and are clever enough to make it past the spam filter, it
reaches the list.