[weld-dev] JBoss Web Framework Kit and Seam

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 00:57:38 EST 2009

Arbi,

Not to say that you don't have some points which are worth considering, but
this (weld-dev, seam-dev) really isn't the right place for discussion about
product offerings. This would be more appropriate on the forums or even on
the more general JBoss forums where people actually have a say in where
these stacks are defined. Because as you pointed out, this has nothing to do
with Seam.

Thanks for understanding.

-Dan

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 12:51 AM, Arbi Sookazian <asookazian at gmail.com>wrote:

> As if EE6 wasn't novel and confusing enough with the change of names like
> Web Beans to CDI, EJB Lite and new web/full profiles concept, etc.  Now we
> have some presumably new product offerings from JBoss:
>
> http://www.jboss.com/pdf/JBbyRH_WFK_Datasheet.pdf
>
> This one comes from out of nowhere: GWT, RichFaces, Struts, Spring, but no
> Seam.  No Seam.  And I thought that RichFaces was an AJAX component library
> for JSF.  But no mention of JSF in the datasheet.  Fantastic.
>
> Oh but wait....
>
> "Along with leading JBoss technologies Hibernate and Seam,
> JBoss Web Framework Kit will be included in Red Hat Java
> Enterprise Edition application server solutions, JBoss
> Enterprise Application Platform and JBoss Enterprise Web
> Platform to provide a complete, integrated environment
> that supports any type of Java application. For deployments
> that use the Apache Tomcat component of JBoss
> Enterprise Web Server, JBoss Web Framework Kit can be
> easily added to help round out any lightweight Java application
> architecture."
>
> I thought EJB Lite and web profile in EE6 was "lightweight", no?  Or not
> "light" enough?  Because Tomcat starts up so fast.
>
> So is JBoss/Redhat trying to gobble up some of SpringSource's customers and
> market share and thus boost revenue?
>
> Seam can integrate with Spring as was shown in SiA book.  So why isn't Seam
> included in this new JBoss WFK?
>
> And does Redhat JEE app server mean JBoss 6 AS?  And if yes, does that mean
> JBoss 6 includes this WFK?  Is it available in the current AS 6.0.0.M1
> download?

Dan Allen
Registered Linux User #231597

http://mojavelinux.com