[weld-dev] My take on Spring3

Reza Rahman reza_rahman at lycos.com
Fri Dec 18 02:41:10 EST 2009

Gavin,

Just so you understand, I don't see any problems with someone in your
(or perhaps my or Dan's or Pete's, etc) position to express an opinion
on Spring or just about any other tool. Rod & Company do that about Java
EE routinely, often unsolicited. I don't think that's "going negative",
merely sharing your views on matters relevant to the community as
someone with something valuable to share. And I don't think you need to
be a "Spring expert" to do it. Let's face it, Rod & Company are hardly
"Java EE experts". I could write a small booklet on the number of
innacuracies about Java EE that most Spring documentation has, for
example (including Rod's book which shocked me when I first read it and
inspired me to write EJB 3 in Action).

All that being said, I agree aimlessly picking fights is a dumb waste of
time. The key for me is intent (the reason why you would do something),
conduct (how you do it) and fairness (treating all parties justly), not
merely robotically staying away from or actively saying/doing X or Y.

Cheers and Happy New Year,
Reza