[webbeans-dev] Re: XML configuration format

Scott Ferguson ferg at caucho.com
Wed Jan 7 19:27:38 EST 2009

On Dec 20, 2008, at 10:12 PM, Gavin King wrote:

> Mike is concerned that the XML format is different to the style used
> in other Java EE specifications, where class/method names are
> generally specified as strings in the body of XML elements, and that
> the XML format may turn out to be confusing to users.

There's a simpler way of evaluating the two proposals.

If the DTD-style syntax supporters believe their syntax is simpler, it
should be straightforward for them to translate some of the XML
examples in the draft spec into their proposed DTD syntax.  If the
sample DTD-XML for the examples is actually easier and as powerful as
the current syntax, then we can reevaluate.

Without concrete, translated examples, the counterproposal doesn't
have enough content to properly evaluate.

-- Scott