[webbeans-dev] Rough draft proposal for resource injection

Gavin King gavin at hibernate.org
Thu Jan 8 08:47:47 EST 2009

Everyone, please take a look at section 3.6 of this spec draft, which
defines a proposal for EE resource injection.

Basically, what I've proposed is that web beans would let you rewrite
the following:

   @Resource(mappedName="customerDatabase") Datasource ds;

as:

   @CustomerDatabase Datasource ds;

   <javaxsql:Datasource>
      <Resource>
         <mappedName>customerDatabase</mappedName>
      </Resource>
      <myapp:CustomerDatabase/>
   </javaxsql:Datasource>

and:

   @EJB(ejbLink="somejar#Foo") Foo foo;

as:

   @Current Foo foo;

   <myapp:Foo>
      <EJB>
         <ejbLink>somejar#Foo</ejbLink>
      </EJB>
   </myapp:Foo>

and:

   @WebServiceRef(name="barbar", wsdlLocation="barbarbar") Bar bar;

as:

   @Current Bar bar;

   <myapp:Bar>
      <WebServiceRef>
         <name>barbar</name>
         <wsdlLocation>barbarbar</wsdLocation>
      </WebServiceRef>
   </myapp:Bar>

So this proposal is just basically an indirection around the
pre-existing semantics of Java EE injection, that gives you all the
nice Web Beans typesafety.

This seems a really nice, easy way to define this stuff, and I love
how the XML looks.

gavin.king at gmail.com