[webbeans-dev] RE: XML configuration format

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 8 16:37:40 EST 2009

> So, while I see that there are strengths and weaknesses to the XML style that
> is currently described in the spec, it is so different from every other existing
> XML descriptor in Java EE that the platform suffers and there is no sharing of
> experience. On the contrary, it requires learning new and different conventions,
> all in the context of trying to make this a bona fide Java EE technology.

Wow, isn't that exactly what people said when annotations were
introduced into EJB 3? You have to start somewhere using the
advancements in technology. Annotations were added to Java 5 and
finally EJB 3 made use of them. XML Schema was introduced a decade (or
more?) ago and finally we are using them to their full extent. It's
not such a bad thing to introduce something new. Look at how much
impact annotations had on the general morale of developers. So it's
not so much that this thing is new, scary, or inconsistent, but that
it is something that developers really want. I think that goes double
for developers who prefer XML over annotations because it gives them
the assurance they don't lose that "type-safety" perk just because
they prefer their trusty XML.

-Dan

--
Dan Allen

http://mojavelinux.com
http://mojavelinux.com/seaminaction

NOTE: While I make a strong effort to keep up with my email on a daily
basis, personal or other work matters can sometimes keep me away
from my email. If you contact me, but don't hear back for more than a week,
it is very likely that I am excessively backlogged or the message was
caught in the spam filters.  Please don't hesitate to resend a message if
you feel that it did not reach my attention.