[webbeans-dev] Re: CreationalContext

Gavin King gavin at hibernate.org
Mon Jan 12 08:24:46 EST 2009

On Sat, Jan 10, 2009 at 2:34 AM, Scott Ferguson <ferg at caucho.com> wrote:

> Requiring proxies for all beans is a performance hit which is entirely
> unnecessary with the proper SPI.
>
> If the tradeoff is a performance hit on every method call (proxy) for every
> bean, vs a slight added complexity in the _SPI_, i.e. an interface that 98%
> of developers _never even see_, it should be obvious that the SPI change is
> the right one.
>
>> I guess I can that it might be useful for pseudo-scopes other than
>> @Dependent, or possibly as a performance optimization...
>
> It's not an "optimization", it's the basic overhead of the basic method
> call.

OK, but you as the implementer of the Manager and of the most
important implementations of the Bean interface (for simple beans,
producer methods and session beans) can easily provide your own
internal SPI with *your* implementations of Bean, and *your*
implementation of Manager support. Is it *really* important that this
be provided for third-party implementations of Bean?

Really, I'm just asking the question. I'm not against adding this at
all, I'm just trying to balance the additional spec complexity
involved.

gavin.king at gmail.com