[webbeans-dev] Re: Distributed event channels

Gavin King gavin at hibernate.org
Thu Jan 15 18:18:57 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 7:16 AM, Scott Ferguson <ferg at caucho.com> wrote:

> On Jan 15, 2009, at 5:42 AM, Gavin King wrote:
>
>> OK, after thinking this through over the last couple of days I've come
>> to the conclusion that we can live with something slightly less
>> general. The usecase for this stuff is really state synchronization
>> and therefore N-of-N semantics is the only thing that makes sense, and
>> supporting guaranteed delivery sounds to me like total overkill.
>
> Is it possible to reuse the @Asynchronous annotation from EJB 3.1 with the
> exact same semantics?  They seem essentially the same to me, and having a
> shared definition for that aspect would be fantastic (especially from a
> documentation perspective.)  Having two very-similar but different
> annotations may be hard to keep track of.  Plus the current EJB definition
> is more complete.

I will ask Ken about that. Note that EJB also has
@BeforeCompletion/@AfterCompletion annotations which are also very
similar to our @BeforeTransactionCompletion/@AfterTransactionCompletion.

There are a couple of minor mismatches:

* the EJB annotations are in javax.ejb instead of javax.annotations
* they don't have @AfterTransactionSuccess/@AfterTransactionFailure
(instead a boolean value is passed, which doesn't really work for us
* ours are currently specified on the parameter instead of the method

But none of these differences seems like anything really killer.

gavin.king at gmail.com