[webbeans-dev] jsr299-utils

Clint Popetz cpopetz at gmail.com
Sun May 24 11:21:09 EDT 2009

Great, I'll get started on it Tuesday.

I haven't done work on the core before, only on extensions, and I haven't
dealt with the TCK at all.  So I have a few questions with regard to the
webbeans development process:

(1) I'm going to start by focusing on javax.enterprise.inject.spi.  This
means some pretty heavy refactoring, including repackaging javax.inject.*
and changing Bean and Decorator to be interfaces, which is going to ripple
through the whole source base.  Is it preferred that this is committed in
small chunks, even if that means the resulting source base is not buildable
in between commits, or should I commit them in the smallest chunks that
allows the core to build, which in this case might be rather large?

(2) Is it acceptable to cause test failures in webbeans-core-test during the
early stages of this work, or should I be fixing all tests as I go.

(3) Given that the work involves repackaging/renaming, a lot of things are
going to break in dependent modules.  Should I be checking/building/testing
these other modules, and in particular the webbeans extensions, as I'm
making these changes, or can they be corrected at a later date?

(4) What is the timetable for reaching the next release milestone with these
changes, i.e. will the next webbeans release target this draft of the spec,
and if so, what is its target date?  Is there an internal stabilization/qa
process on that release?

(5) With regard to the TCK, should I be adding TCK tests as I'm implementing
the SPI?  If so, does the TCK target a specific revision of the spec?  (It's
not clear to me if the spec itself is even versioned during the draft
process.)  For example, right now the contents of tck-audit.xml and many of
the @SpecAssertions don't match the current spec, as it just came out.    So
is it ok to add tests to tck-impl that target things in the new spec (for
example, 11.2 to test the BeanManager SPI), given that these new
@SpecAssertions will overlap with existing assertions for similar numbers in
the older spec, and given that the audit tool will report garbage for the
new assertions?

Thanks,
-Clint