[weld-dev] persistence and transactions outside Java EE

Dan Allen dan.j.allen at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 12:18:13 EST 2009

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Reza Rahman <reza_rahman at lycos.com> wrote:

> Dan,
>
> Personally, I think the most elegant solution in terms of Java EE is
> simply to standardize "promotable" transactions. Specifically, JTA could
> be modified to use local transactions by default and only promote
> transactions to distributed mode as the need arises. The Microsoft guys
> have had promotable transactions for ages, I am not sure why we don't
> have it in Java EE too. This would make the "lightweight" vs
> "heavyweight" debate moot and keep things simple/consistent from a
> developer's perspective while most of the systems-level issues are dealt
> by the container where these things belong instead of a steady leak as a
> development concern.

I'd like to read more about it. One way or another, we have to figure out
why we feel the need to introduce "non-Java EE" persistence and transaction
support in Seam 3. The technical reason is because you can't have an EJB in
a servlet container environment. If we could have a portable transactional
managed bean in a servlet container, then we'd be good. Otherwise, we have
to layer Seam 3 on top again.

-Dan

--
Dan Allen