[weld-dev] persistence and transactions outside Java EE

Jonathan Halliday jonathan.halliday at redhat.com
Tue Nov 24 13:01:26 EST 2009

The 3rd party pools out there will only pool Connection, not
XAConnection, so they are largely useless to JBossTS.

The current architecture I have for the JBossTS+tomcat
prototype puts the transaction manager directly on top of
the driver's own XADataSource. Most db vendor
implementations of that have built-in pooling, so JBossTS
TransactionalDriver does not pool itself, nor use a 3rd
party pool.

The code does weird tomcat specific classloader hacks, but
you should be able to 'borrow' 90% of what you need from it
if you want to go with a JCA-free design:

http://anonsvn.jboss.org/repos/labs/labs/jbosstm/workspace/jhalliday/tomcat-integration/

Jonathan.