[webbeans-dev] Is @Named qualifier?

Pete Muir pmuir at redhat.com
Sat Sep 5 02:50:36 EDT 2009

We (Gavin for Red Hat) disputed that @Named should be a spec provided
qualifier, due to it promoting poor coding practices, however we were
over ruled.

Reusing it for defining the EL name does make sense semantically to
me. In general qualifiers are used in resolution, in the "by name"
case, we have a special qualifier. Whilst CDI and atinject don't
expose anything to JNDI, you could easily write an extension that used
@Named for this purpose.