[weld-dev] CDI Implementors Panel BOF at JavaOne 2010?

Reza Rahman reza_rahman at lycos.com
Mon Feb 22 14:33:40 EST 2010

Dan,

Below is the draft I have. Let me know your comments (nothing need be
held back :-)). Note, the general order of mention is alphabetical.

==============================================================================================================
Title: CDI Implementations Frontier: Goals, Milestones and Perspectives
Type: Birds-of-a-Feather
Speakers: Dan Allen, David Blevins, Reza Rahman

Abstract:
The Context and Dependency Injection for Java EE (CDI) API is a key part
of Java EE 6. It provides robust context management, conversations,
type-safe next-generation generic dependency injection, stereotypes,
interceptors, decorators, events and a comprehensive SPI intended for
portable extensions. CDI already has a lot of industry traction with
three independent open source implementations – Resin’s CanDI, Apache’s
OpenWebBeans and JBoss’ Weld/Seam 3.

This session is your opportunity to get the perspectives of the folks
working on these implementations. We will talk about each project's
goals, approach, features, status, milestones, road map and modular
portable extensions. Please do feel free to bring your questions,
concerns and ideas!

implementations. This includes the JBoss reference implementation Weld
(as well as the Seam 3 CDI modules), Caucho's CanDI included in the
Resin application server as well as Apache's OpenWebBeans. This informal
session is a chance for attendees to get an overview of these projects
and interact closely with the folks working on them.

The session will loosely follow the outline below:

* An overview of CDI
* Overview and details of each CDI project including:
    - Goals, implementation approach, features beyond the CDI
specification, current status, milestones achieved, road-map and community
    - Closely related projects such as JBoss Seam 3, JBoss Arquillian,
Embedded JBoss, Apache OpenEJB and Resin
    - CDI portable extensions being developed with each implementation
such as support for XML configuration, localization,
internationalization, security, Spring,
       GWT, Quartz, Struts 2, Wicket, iBATIS, JUnit, Drools and Apache
projects.
* Open-ended Q & A with attendees.

This session is intended for Java server side developers, architects and
managers. A moderate understanding of dependency injection and Java EE
is assumed.

Cheers,
Reza