[weld-dev] A ConversationManager API

Arbi Sookazian asookazian at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 19:37:19 EST 2010

So a sample use case is a hotel or airplane booking (or even eBay) app where
the user has multiple tabs (and therefore multiple LRCs) running
simultaneously inside the same session.  If I could getTimeout() of a
non-current conversation then I could display to a user x seconds prior to
the LRC timing out a warning stating that "your work on tab Y is going to be
lost in 30 secs".  That way they know which conversations are going to
timeout when and won't lose work in important conversations.

In practical cases, I'm not sure how many apps actually need or use the
workspace switcher concept (org.jboss.seam.core.conversationEntries) that is
demonstrated in the hotel booking Seam example.  I have yet to use the
conversation switcher (conversationEntries and conversationList) in a
real-world Seam app.

What about the rest of the API related to conversations from the Seam core?

*Conversation<http://docs.jboss.org/seam/2.2.0.GA/api/org/jboss/seam/core/Conversation.html>
* Allows the conversation timeout to be set per-conversation, and the
conversation description and switchable outcome to be set when the
application requires workspace management functionality.  *
ConversationalInterceptor<http://docs.jboss.org/seam/2.2.0.GA/api/org/jboss/seam/core/ConversationalInterceptor.html>
* Check that a conversational bean is not being invoked outside the scope of
a long-running conversation.
*ConversationEntries<http://docs.jboss.org/seam/2.2.0.GA/api/org/jboss/seam/core/ConversationEntries.html>
* Manages a map of conversation id to ConversationEntry in the session
context.  *ConversationEntry<http://docs.jboss.org/seam/2.2.0.GA/api/org/jboss/seam/core/ConversationEntry.html>
* Metadata about an active conversation.
*ConversationIdGenerator<http://docs.jboss.org/seam/2.2.0.GA/api/org/jboss/seam/core/ConversationIdGenerator.html>
*    *ConversationInterceptor<http://docs.jboss.org/seam/2.2.0.GA/api/org/jboss/seam/core/ConversationInterceptor.html>
* Implements annotation-based conversation demarcation.
*ConversationList<http://docs.jboss.org/seam/2.2.0.GA/api/org/jboss/seam/core/ConversationList.html>
* Factory for the conversation list
*ConversationPropagation<http://docs.jboss.org/seam/2.2.0.GA/api/org/jboss/seam/core/ConversationPropagation.html>
* Overrideable component for extracting the conversation id from a request.
*ConversationStack<http://docs.jboss.org/seam/2.2.0.GA/api/org/jboss/seam/core/ConversationStack.html>
* Factory for the "breadcrumbs", a stack with all parent conversations of
the current conversation.
Are they going to be dismissed in the CDI API or slated for PE
implementations like in Seam 3?  Currently all I see in CDI API that is
conversation-related is Conversation interface and ConversationScoped
annotation.

And also, have you guys thought about using an abstract class rather than an
interface (or perhaps in addition to an interface) for some of the
conversation-related API?  So have the basic methods in the interface and
the "bonus" ones in an abstract class.