[weld-dev] standard servlet context attribute for the BeanManager

David Allen drallendc at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 11:24:07 EDT 2010

Am Mittwoch, den 24.03.2010, 11:11 -0400 schrieb Dan Allen:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 3:38 AM, Emmanuel Bernard
> <emmanuel at hibernate.org> wrote:
>         But how do you solve that in SE? Or even in a web environment,
>         more and more web environment are getting away from the
>         servlet API imposed constraint.
>

> Sigh. And that's why this problem is more difficult than it has to be.
> Because we can't even handle the 80-90% case.
>

> But you did get me thinking. Maybe the way to address the problem is
> to see this more as an integration concern for the SPI. So if I'm
> running in a servlet environment (whether it be a servlet container or
> Java EE), then I'm providing an implementation that standardizes on
> the servlet context. But we can define other mappings for other known
> environments, or unknown environments can supply the SPI impl.
>

> Btw, it's not like JNDI is all that portable to SE either ;)

Actually JNDI is quite simple and can be used in any Java application.
It does not necessarily require a server.  It is just an API and a
simple implementation can always be used to provide the necessary
functionality within an SE.

Here's one example:  http://www.osjava.org/simple-jndi/index.html

And maybe even the JBoss implementation can be used separately, but I
haven't examined it.