[weld-dev] Weld and Java 9 JPMS

Matej Novotny manovotn at redhat.com
Mon Sep 18 01:10:28 EDT 2017

Hi Alex

Back there we did some tests with earlier versions of Java 9 and eliminated some crucial problems.
I think it should be possible to take *existing* app and run it on Java 9.

However, creating a whole new modular project might present some additional challenges.
Weld itself is not modularized (since it needs to run on Java 8), therefore you would need to list some extra "requires" in module-info.java for Weld.
You also need to have reflection access allowed (we need to instantiate proxies etc) but last time I checked, it was by default enabled in JDK 9 wi th just warning showing up.
Other than that, it might just work.

To answer your other question - no, there is no tutorial, for there is no special difference between Weld and many other projects in regard to JDK 9.

Matej