[wildfly-dev] Change CLI to Default to Remoting

Darran Lofthouse darran.lofthouse at jboss.com
Wed Jul 10 06:58:39 EDT 2013

Actually I think the better option could be the following: -

Add a new default-protocol to the CLI configuration.  The purpose of
this will be if an address is specified without a scheme/protocol this
default will be used.

This is separate from the pick and mix default host which will only be
used as the address to connect to if no address is specified.

If no port is specified then the port will be decided based on the
entered scheme or default if non specified.
  remote:// / remoting:// will be 9999
  http-remoting:// will be 9990
  https-remoting:// will be 9443 (Although there is some demand to
change this default)

This will still leave room in the future to add support aliases in the
jboss-cli, so 'connect name' will: -
  - Search a list if aliases for a match on name, if so use the host
definition.
  - If no match assume it is a host name, use the default-protocol and
assign the default port.

WildFly 8 can then continue on the http-upgrade is the way to go path
and set the default protocol to http-upgrade, EAP 7 in the future can
tweak the config back to default to remoting:// if existing connect
commands against older installations need to be supported.

This does not cover choosing a scheme/protocol based on the port number
which I think will be just problematic as soon as port offsets are
introduced but one final option if support for aliases is added would be
on 'connect host:port' search for an alias with this pair and pick up
the protocol from that.

Regards,
Darran Lofthouse.