[wildfly-dev] WFLY-508, JBeret initial review and integration issues

Jason Greene jason.greene at redhat.com
Wed Jul 24 13:46:54 EDT 2013

On Jul 24, 2013, at 12:05 PM, Cheng Fang <cfang at redhat.com> wrote:

>> #4) JAXB seems to be being used to parse XML, which is a departure
>> from all of our other services which expect parsing to be done during
>> deployment processing in a more efficient manner.  Is there any better
>> way we can integrate this, preferably not using JAXB?
> It works well so far in standalone distro, but I'm open to alternative
> mechanism in either standalone or EE.

There are essentially 3 issues with JAXB:

1) It hurts either deployment time or startup time

2) It is very poor at handling versioned descriptors

3) It is not effective at reporting the location of syntax errors

We prefer StAX or SAX based parsers. They are harder to write initially, as they require lots of boilerplate. However they don't have the above problems, and maintaining them is not very difficult.

--
Jason T. Greene
JBoss, a division of Red Hat