[wildfly-dev] WFLY-508, JBeret initial review and integration issues

David M. Lloyd david.lloyd at redhat.com
Wed Jul 24 14:16:10 EDT 2013

On 07/24/2013 12:49 PM, Kevin Conner wrote:
> On 24/07/2013 10:05, Cheng Fang wrote:
>> Batch RI (http://java.net/projects/jbatch from IBM) was created solely
>> for the purpose of a reference implementation, and is a subset of IBM's
>> batch offering.
>
> The Batch RI did not exist when we started the jBeret project.  The
> batch RI has always been developed internally within IBM with code drops
> as and when they thought was appropriate (not necessarily when
> promised).  IBM have no obligation to support its development outside of
> what is needed to satisfy the JSR requirements and it has not been run
> as a pure open source project.

That is good information, but the question is mainly around choices we
make today as a result of this review.  If there are problems with the
proposed implementation, the choice is to either fix it or use another,
and the criteria which feed into this choice are limited specifically to
implementation quality (i.e. technical details) and supportability,
which derives directly from implementation quality (by us, not relating
to any other parties involved; e.g. we don't really care who "supports",
say, commons-beanutils in practice because we "support" it in WildFly).

--
- DML