[wildfly-dev] Timeouts for ModelControllerClient calls?

Rob Stryker rstryker at redhat.com
Tue May 28 03:09:24 EDT 2013

Hi all:

Executing the following code, takes about 5 seconds if the remote server
is down. This code is actually used to see if the remote server is up or
down, so if we could trim this down (ie reduce timeout) through some
API, it'd be great.

             ModelNode node = ....etc...;
             this.client =
ModelControllerClient.Factory.create(details.getHost(),
details.getManagementPort(),     getCallbackHandler());
             ModelNode response = client.execute(node);

In stacktrace, I see about 12 steps in, there's a clear timeout of
5000.  Any way to override this at the dmr or ModelControllerClient
level?  Stacktrace included for completeness.  Also, where should I look
in the future to be able to discover the answer myself without hassling
you all? ;)

// This is where we can see a timeout, and where it delays for 5 seconds
ProtocolConnectionUtils.connectSync(ProtocolConnectionConfiguration)
line: 101

// Everything else below does not show a timeout being passed
ProtocolConnectionManager$EstablishingConnection.connect() line: 256
ProtocolConnectionManager.connect() line: 70
ManagementClientChannelStrategy$Establishing(FutureManagementChannel$Establishing).getChannel()
line: 176
RemotingModelControllerClient.getOrCreateChannel() line: 144
RemotingModelControllerClient$1.getChannel() line: 65
ManagementChannelHandler.executeRequest(ActiveOperation<T,A>,
ManagementRequest<T,A>) line: 115
ManagementChannelHandler.executeRequest(ManagementRequest<T,A>, A) line: 98
RemotingModelControllerClient(AbstractModelControllerClient).executeRequest(ManagementRequest<ModelNode,OperationExecutionContext>,
OperationExecutionContext) line: 236
RemotingModelControllerClient(AbstractModelControllerClient).execute(OperationExecutionContext)
line: 141
RemotingModelControllerClient(AbstractModelControllerClient).executeForResult(AbstractModelControllerClient$OperationExecutionContext)
line: 127
RemotingModelControllerClient(AbstractModelControllerClient).execute(ModelNode)
line: 71