[wildfly-dev] Configuration of statistics gathering

Paul Ferraro paul.ferraro at redhat.com
Wed Nov 6 16:50:47 EST 2013

On Wed, 2013-11-06 at 10:26 -0600, Brian Stansberry wrote:
> I'd like to get some info from the component leads responsible for WF
> subsystems.
>
> 1) What statistical data does your subsystem capture (including the
> underlying libraries it integrates).

Infinispan collects a bazillion statistics [1] per cache and cache
container instance.

In JGroups, statistics are collected by each protocol in the protocol
stack.  I don't have a complete list, but, for example, the transport
protocols collect the following:
num_msgs_received
num_bytes_received
num_msgs_sent
num_bytes_sent

> 2) What configuration options do you support for enabling/disabling
> statistics gathering. What's the resource address and attribute name of
> the config option?

For Infinispan, [2] adds an option to enable/disable statistics per
cache and per cache-container.
e.g.
/subsystem=infinispan/cache-container=foo:read-attribute(name=statistics)
/subsystem=infinispan/cache-container=foo/local-cache=bar:read-attribute(name=statistics)
/subsystem=infinispan/cache-container=foo/invalidation-cache=bar:read-attribute(name=statistics)
/subsystem=infinispan/cache-container=foo/distributed-cache=bar:read-attribute(name=statistics)
/subsystem=infinispan/cache-container=foo/replicated-cache=bar:read-attribute(name=statistics)

For JGroups, a mechanism to disable statistics gathering is exposed, but
it's a bit cumbersome.  [3] seeks to fix this.
e.g.
/subsystem=jgroups/stack=udp/transport=TRANSPORT/property=stats:add(value=true)
/subsystem=jgroups/stack=udp/protocol=FOO/property=stats:add(value=true)

> 3) Is the statistic gathering enabled by default?

Infinispan, currently yes, but [2] will disable statistics by default.

JGroups, yes.

[1] http://docs.jboss.org/infinispan/6.0/apidocs/jmxComponents.html
[2] https://github.com/wildfly/wildfly/pull/5415
[2] https://issues.jboss.org/browse/WFLY-2453