[wildfly-dev] my 2 cents on Security Manager discussion

arjan tijms arjan.tijms at gmail.com
Sat Apr 19 13:43:24 EDT 2014

Hi,

Just wondering, but what is the primary use case for a security manager
server side?

While the model obviously makes sense for Applets and Webstart where
untrusted code is executed on the user's machine, I found it to be
extremely rare for a server to run untrusted code. In fact, I don't think
I've ever seen this situation.

There's maybe a case to prevent privilege escalation in case of a
legitimate app being hacked, but in practice it doesn't look like a
security manager is really being used a lot for that, is it? Instead the
default thing to do there seems to be to run the AS under a user with
limited rights on the host OS and/or use things like SELinix or Virtual
Servers (e.g. XEN) to isolate the complete AS.

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms