[wildfly-dev] Management Model: Squatter Resources

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Tue Aug 5 09:50:16 EDT 2014

On 8/5/14, 8:03 AM, Heiko W.Rupp wrote:

> Am 05.08.2014 um 13:02 schrieb Heiko Braun <hbraun at redhat.com>:
>
>> Not sure I understand the question. Can you elaborate on this?
>
> Will have service=async and service=timer-service
> have the same attributes / operations (as the type - the part left of the '='  - is the same)?
> I guess not, but would like to know anyway.

They are quite different.

The issue here is how to identify "types". All address segments consist
of key/value pairs[1], and in most cases the key identifies the type and
the value is a specific instance name.

There are many cases though where a pair isn't really needed to identify
the type, and there can only be one instance. (Your 'singleton' idea for
the term to use is definitely a good candidate.) But we have to force
the address element into a pair.

In some cases we have really crappy pairs that just repeat the key,
foo=FOO. Where we could we tried to come up with some sort of common
concept to use as a key, just to make it more intuitive for people tab
completing in the CLI. That's where this 'service' key comes from. But
"common concept" != an actual type.

[1] Why key/value pairs? First, in many cases it's the right fit. But
also, requiring this allows us always to map resource addresses to JMX
ObjectNames.

>> On 05 Aug 2014, at 12:59, Heiko W.Rupp <hrupp at redhat.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Do the squatters have all the same attributes or does one still individually deal with them?

Senior Principal Software Engineer