[wildfly-dev] Management Model: Squatter Resources

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Tue Aug 5 11:15:19 EDT 2014

On 8/5/14, 9:21 AM, David M. Lloyd wrote:
> On 08/05/2014 09:00 AM, Brian Stansberry wrote:

>>> We've solved this a different way in the "next" management model.  We
>>> introduce the concept of an "attribute group".  In your example we'd
>>> perhaps have an attribute group for async, one for remote, and one for
>>> timer-service within the root resource.
>>>
>>> An attribute group is something like a composition resource.  They can
>>> be optional or mandatory, and they can be named or anonymous.
>>>
>>> A named attribute group would be separately addressable as a unit, or
>>> can be accessed using a qualifier syntax e.g. "thegroup.theattribute".
>>> Also they can be arbitrarily nested.
>>>
>>> An anonymous attribute group is just a logical grouping which is only
>>> relevant to the server Java API itself and is invisible to the so-called
>>> "DMR" or REST style API.  We can use these groups to retrofit existing
>>> subsystems without breaking compatibility (this gives certain code reuse
>>> benefits which are not important to this discussion).
>>>
>>> This way we preserve the invariant that all attributes with a given key
>>> have a related type (we also introduce the concept of type hierarchies
>>> though, which mitigates this constraint in a different way, but that's
>>> not related to this).
>>>

>> Is there a notion of null/undefined for the attribute group itself, as
>> opposed to the individual attributes?
>
> Yes, but only for "optional" attribute groups.  IOW the resource author
> can decide if that's appropriate or not.
>
> I have not yet completely worked out how manipulation operations would
> look for this.  I think it may be closely tied in to what we do for
> so-called "complex" attributes though.
>
>> That's a conceptual distinction -- a resource doesn't exist unless it's
>> added.
>
> Yes, it's a distinct concept.  However (at least for the given example)
> I think that an attribute group is a better fit.  The problem with
> "squatters" is that they don't really have a common API, and yet they
> aren't really independent - it's just a way of addressing the
> composition of a parent resource.

Where is the boundary for "independent"?

I've concluded that over time we've gone too far toward making resources
out of things that are not independent, with resources used for things
that really aren't at all. But is service=remote not semi-independent?
It adds an entire chunk of functionality, including a requirement for
the presence of a remoting subsystem.

I see how it could be treated as just another aspect of the parent. I'd
like to have a clearly explainable boundary line. Maybe a bit fuzzy, but
something clear for 98% of the cases.

>  You can't really use the mechanism
> (as described) to plug in extensions.  So it's yet another logical model
> for resources we have to introduce.  I think in terms of the logical
> model of management resources themselves, we're close to the breaking
> point in a couple ways, even if only due to the way we handle
> subsystems, inter-resource linkage etc., where it's going to be
> difficult to come up with any kind of internally consistent management
> API unification concept if we make it any more complex.
>
> The problem that Heiko is trying to solve, I think, is that there's a
> tension here.  Large resources aren't, by themselves, inherently "bad",
> in terms of the system and its implementation.  However once you
> introduce human interfaces like CLI and console, it becomes difficult
> for people to manage due to just the overall spamming of management
> information.  So there's a tension between having complete and robust
> resources, and making them consumable by normal human beings.  I
> definitely agree with this, and I think that trying to solve this is a
> very reasonable and logical step (and those who know me should know that
> "reasonable" is about the highest compliment that I give).
>
> But if we do solve this then it has to be done in a way that we can
> adapt to, or else we may cross the line from "the new management is a
> pretty big effort" to "the new management model is dead".  And I think
> that if the new management model can't accommodate a new abstraction in
> a logically consistent way, then nothing else will be able to either.

Senior Principal Software Engineer