[wildfly-dev] Enabling Hibernate Search to all Hibernate/JPA users

Scott Marlow smarlow at redhat.com
Tue Aug 5 12:45:04 EDT 2014

Thanks for the complements Andrej!  :-)

Sanne, please see in-line below.

On 08/05/2014 09:49 AM, Sanne Grinovero wrote:
> Hi Andrej,
> that's an excellent point.
>
> I also don't want to make it harder for users to play with the latest
> versions we'll be releasing - normally at a higher pace than WildFly.

I'm not sure that you need to sync up with WildFly as much as the
Hibernate ORM project.  For example,

> I guess I'll need learn more about writing a subsystem to make sure
> these options are covered.

If Hibernate Search is a part of the Hibernate ORM module, like Envers
is, that could make integration easy enough for Hibernate Search and
users that want to package Hibernate ORM with their application.  They
either also include Hibernate Search or not.  If applications include
Hibernate ORM but no Hibernate Search, they can't use Hibernate Search.

A bigger problem though is that bundling Hibernate Search with the
application, likely means that the application server version of
Infinispan (already configured and ready to work with clustering), will
not be usable.

<tangent>
Another related issue is that Hibernate 3.x depends on an older version
of Infinispan, so when Hibernate 3.x is used on WildFly, clustering of
the second level cache will not work (even when Hibernate 3.x is used as
a wildfly/modules (static) module).  The same will occur with other
versions of Hibernate as well.

In theory, we could externalize clustering integration to be external to
the Hibernate ORM codebase (in Jipijapa).  I've done some
experimentation with that but not too far (more for EclipseLink/OpenJpa
2lc clustering but we could see some benefit to Hibernate also).
</tangent>

Scott