[wildfly-dev] Management model attribute groups

Brian Stansberry brian.stansberry at redhat.com
Wed Dec 10 10:51:02 EST 2014

On 12/10/14, 9:05 AM, Tomaž Cerar wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 10, 2014 at 3:45 PM, Brian Stansberry
> <brian.stansberry at redhat.com <mailto:brian.stansberry at redhat.com>> wrote:
>
>     This sounds more like a complex attribute or a child resource. The
>     attributes control a discrete piece of functionality and
>     you need to be able to turn that on/off as a unit. The attributes
>     are required if that functionality is turned on.
>

> Agreed, but how do you handle scenario where you just add resource that
> has 30 attributes all in attribute groups.
> You call :add() without any parameters as you plan to add/edit
> attributes that are part of attribute group in next step.
> you than call
> :write-attribute(name=non-require-attribute-that-is-part-of-group-that-has-few-required,
> value="some-value")
> and this should fail, as attribute is part of attribute group.

You use a batch if it's important to you to format your request into
separate lines. Or you just include all the params and use the line
separator to break your add up into multiple lines and save a lot of typing.

(I'm not really arguing against you ^^^, just pointing out ways to do
things in case readers are not aware.)

> It is a tricky thing to address, as we have not atomic way to
> write/update more than one attribute at ones.
> maybe have extra operation to do
> write-attribute-group(name="first-attribute-group",
> attr1=value,attr2=value) similar to :add semantics.
>
> otherwise I don't see any good way to do atomic updates of whole
> attribute group.

Ok, I'll add this to the "Other possible things to do" bit. Thanks for
the input. :)

I think "write-attributes(attr1=value,attr2=value)" makes more sense
though. This is really syntactic sugar around updating multiple
attribute in one op, not requiring client-side creation of a composite.
There's no need to tie the concept to the attribute-group notion.

Senior Principal Software Engineer